Passport Requirements

How to Apply for a U.S. Passport

First time applicants, including minors, must appear in person at the County Clerk's Office with the documents listed below. U.S. Passport Applications for children under age 16 require both parents' signatures as provided by the Code of Federal Regulations Title 22, section 51-28.

Required Information

Proof of US Citizenship
(any one of the following):
  • Certificate of Birth Certified birth certificate issued by the Bureau of Vital Statistics which bears a raised/embossed or multicolored seal (hospital and church records are not acceptable). All birth certificates submitted for applicants must contain the name of the parent(s). When requesting a certified copy of a birth record, please request the long form.
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Previous US Passport

Identification:  Valid driver's license, pilot's license, or permanent I.D. issued by a U.S. government agency.

Photographs:  Two identical 2” x 2” photographs with an image size of between 1 and 1 3/8” from chin to the top of the head, including hair. Photographs must be clear, front view, full face printed with a plain light (white or off white) background. The County Clerk’s Office takes photos on-site for a fee of $5.00 for each applicant.

Passport Fee:  Must be paid by check or money order payable to Department of State.  No cash will be accepted.

  • Applicants Age 16 and Over (valid for 10 years) - $110.00 per applicant
  • Applicants Age 15 and Under (valid for 5 years) - $80.00 per applicant
The Passport Fee must be a separate check or money order for each applicant.

Execution Fee:  $35.00 (effective April 2, 2018) per applicant may be paid in cash or must be a separate check from the passport fee, payable to "The Cape May County Clerk.”

Please Note:  Visa or MasterCard can be used to pay the combined Passport and Surcharge and Execution fees as one (1) transaction for one or more applicants.

Contact the County Clerk’s Office at 609-465-1010 for more information and fees.  For details visit the U.S. Department of State